How To Administer MATRIX
MATRIX™ is an orally active progestin that is approved for use in synchronizing estrus in gilts. MATRIX™ is a product from Intervet and is available only through a veterinarian.1 MATRIX™ can assist pork producers in synchronizing estrus in their gilt pools to maximize efficiency.
For more information on synchronizing estrus please visit PIG Factsheet 08-06-01 “Synchronization of Estrus in Swine”.
Use of MATRIX™
MATRIX™ is for use in sexually mature gilts that have had at least one estrus. Estrus (standing heat) occurs 4 to 9 days after the 14 day treatment.2
For more information on Estrus Detection in Swine please visit PIG Factsheet 08-01-01 “Estrus detection in Swine”.
What is the withdrawal period for MATRIX™?
The withdrawal period for MATRIX™ is 21 days. Gilts cannot be slaughtered for human consumption until 21 days after the last treatment of MATRIX™.2
Individuals who should avoid contact with MATRIX™2
- Women who are pregnant or suspect that they are pregnant.
- Anyone with thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders or with a history of these events.
- Anyone with cerebral-vascular or coronary-artery disease.
- Women with known or suspected carcinoma of the breast (aka breast cancer).
- People with known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasia.
- Women with undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
- People with benign or malignant tumors which developed during the use of oral contraceptives or other estrogen containing products.
- Anyone with liver dysfunction or disease.
Important Safety information to know before administering MATRIX™2
Avoid skin contact. Wear vinyl, polyethylene, neoprene, butyl or nitrile protective gloves when handling this product.
Proper storage, handling and application of MATRIX™ are essential to optain the benefits of synchronization. To ensure maximum effectiveness, read all product instructions and the product label before using MATRIX™. If you have any questions, please see your local veterinarian or call Intervet at 1-800-441- 8272.3
Dealing with Accidental Exposure:
Skin Exposure: Wash immediately with soap and water.
Eye Exposure: Immediately flush with plenty of water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention.
If Swallowed: DO NOT induce vomiting of MATRIX™. Call a physician. Vomiting should be supervised by a physician because of possible pulmonary damage via aspiration of the oil base. If possible, bring the container and labeling to the physician.
How to administer MATRIX™2
1. Place protective, non-porous gloves on hands.
2. Remove shipping cap and seal and replace with enclosed plastic dispensing cap.
3. Remove cover from bottle dispensing tip and connect leur lock syringe (without needle).
4. Draw out appropriate volume of MATRIX™.
5. Administer 6.8 mL per gilt once daily for 14 consecutive days as a top dressing on their daily feed allowance.
6. To dispose of MATRIX™ place empty drug containers and used syringes, protective gloves or other articles that come in contact with this product in a leak-resistant container for disposal in accordance with applicable Federal, state and local regulations.
Proper Storage of MATRIX™ 3
- Store MATRIX™ at or below room temperature of 77°F (25°C).
- Be sure the container is always closed tightly.
Additional important Information to know while administering MATRIX™ to gilts.2
A small percentage of gilts (less than 5%) will exhibit estrus during the 14-day treatment period.
To reach breeding goals, a program of PG 600 and MATRIX™ may be used. If replacement gilts are not cycling, PG 600 will induce fertile estrus in healthy, prepuberal gilts, over 5 1⁄2 months of age and weighing at least 187 lb.; or in healthy, weaned sows experiencing a delayed return to estrus. If gilts are not mated during their first estrus, then MATRIX™ can be used.
For more information on MATRIX™ please visit the following Web sites:
For more information, please search for the following resources on PIG:
What is MATRIX™?
- PIG 08-06-01 “Synchronization of Estrus in Swine”
- PIG 08-01-01 “Estrus detection in Swine”
1. http://www.porkgateway.com/web/producer/ answers?p_p_id=EXT_7&p_p_action=0&p_p_ state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_ id=column-2&p_p_col_pos=0&p_p_col_ count=1&_EXT_7_struts_action=%2Fext%2Fpigans wers%2Fview_faq&_EXT_7_CMD=Search&_EXT_7_ questionId=3183.0&_EXT_7_domainId=302&_ EXT_7_REFERENCE=incrementViewedCount